Keys before changing the electrical installation
Find out how to calculate an electrical budget for the electrical installation of your home or business. Save money without sacrificing quality.
Changing the electrical installation is one of the most important things to consider when doing a renovation. However, the electricity budget can bring us more than a headache. How can we save money but without losing quality in the results? What are the most important factors to consider when designing the installation?
Ebook: Lighting control systems
If you want to know the answer to these and other questions related to the electrical budget of an installation, keep reading and we will explain them to you.
What factors influence the electricity budget?
There are several factors to consider when dealing with an electrical budget. The main elements that determine the cost of these budgets are the following:
The size of the installation
As is logical, a small installation will be cheaper than a large one and vice versa. In this sense, the square meters of the home or the premises where we will carry out the installation are a determining factor in the cost of the electricity installation.
The complexity of the installation
In addition to size, another element that will also determine the price of the electrical budget is the complexity of the installation. For example, it will not be the same to make an installation with a single light point on the ceiling of the room as to make an installation with several light points in each room, as well as other additional elements that make up part of it.
In addition, if we also want to install USB plugs, smart plugs or other additional solutions to the traditional plugs, this will also need to be taken into account when preparing the budget.
The quality of the materials
The quality of the materials is a key factor when determining the electrical budget. When the materials are of better quality, they will also be more expensive. However, it should also be borne in mind that the quality of the materials is related to the length of their useful life, so it is not recommended to choose the materials just looking for the cheapest ones.
Number of sockets and light points
Another factor to consider is the number of sockets and light points that you want to install. The greater the number of sockets and light points, the higher the cost of the installation.
How is an electricity budget made?
To calculate the cost of the electricity budget we must take into account the following elements:
- The cost of materials: refers to the cost of the materials we will need to change the electrical installation (cables, plugs, switches, etc.).
- Labour: it is the price that must be paid for the work of the workers who will carry out the installation. This price can vary considerably from worker to worker. However, as with materials, the results and quality of the work are also often associated with the cost of labor.
- Size of property: The size of the property will determine the size of the electrical installation and consequently the cost of the installation.
- Certificate of the electrical installation: the certificate of the electrical installation will depend on the size of the property. The bigger the property, the more expensive the certificate and vice versa. In addition, you can also find different prices depending on the autonomous community and the company that does the certification.
- Specifications in bathrooms and kitchens: due to the presence of water in the kitchen and bathrooms, the electrical installation needs certain specific specifications in these rooms. Depending on each case, this will increase more or less the price of the final electricity budget.
- Age of the previous installation: In some cases, some parts of the old electrical installation can be used if they are in good condition. In these cases, it is possible to save some money by changing the electrical installation.
Tips to save on the electrical installation
Some tips and recommendations that we must take into account to save money when we change the electrical installation are the following:
- Compare prices of installers: Before choosing an installer, it is recommended to request several quotes and compare them with each other. It is best to choose installers that are reasonably priced. In other words, neither too expensive nor too cheap.
- Plan the installation well: if we plan the installation well from the beginning, we will have better results and avoid spending on unnecessary things or elements.
- Use materials that have a good quality-price ratio: The price of materials usually indicates their quality, which affects both their durability and comfort and usability. It is best to avoid very expensive materials to save money, but also to avoid very cheap materials due to their poor quality.
- Take advantage of those parts of the old installation that are in good condition: if we are going to change an old electrical installation, it is possible that there are parts that we can use and it is not necessary to replace it completely.
- Install LED lighting: LED bulbs use up to 90% of the energy they consume in the form of light. In this way, they are the best option when it comes to saving money in the long term, since they considerably reduce the associated energy consumption.
- Hiring an appropriate energy power: Hiring the appropriate energy power will allow us to save money on the electricity bill and, at the same time, make correct use of the electrical installation.
- Use as efficient appliances as possible: In addition to LED light bulbs, more efficient appliances help us save money in the long run. They are the best choice when we will complete the electrical installation after the installation.
Dangers of very low electricity budgets
Although very cheap electricity budgets can be very attractive at first, the most common thing is that the cheap turns out to be expensive. Below we explain some of the problems and dangers that are usually associated with excessively cheap budgets.
Poorer quality work
One of the main problems with very cheap electrical budgets is that the jobs tend to be of a poorer quality. This can lead to the electrical installation not working well from the start, or even starting to give problems within a few months of completion.
Another problem associated with very low electrical budgets is poor finishes. These do not necessarily have to affect the operation of the installation, but the aesthetics. For example, with misplaced plugs or switches that are not properly aligned.
Use of poor quality materials
The main problem that usually involves a very cheap electrical budget is that the materials used for the installation are of poor quality. Consequently, this implies that the useful life is shorter and starts to give problems before time.
Periods of completion of the work very long
When the budgets given for a work or renovation are low, the most common thing is that the remodeling company gets these prices because it works on several works or renovations at the same time. This usually results in the completion of the reform being considerably delayed.
Limitations when choosing materials
Finally, in the case of very cheap budgets, it can also happen that the company that offers them buys the materials wholesale to save money. This allows the cost to be reduced, but implies that the amount and variety of materials that can be chosen for the work, including the part corresponding to the electrical installation, is limited.
In summary, there are several factors that influence the electricity budget that must be taken into account to make the calculation. In addition, it is also important to look for good value for money in both labor and materials used, as budgets that are too low can lead to poor quality and problems in both the short and long term.
Ebook: Lighting control systems